History of Presentation Congregation
Presentation Primary is part of a great tradition in the city for over two hundred years. Our history of education begins with Nano Nagle, a woman of courage and vision and foundress of the Presentation Order. In fact she was voted “Greatest Irishwoman in 2005’. The history of our school will reveal some of the reasons why
The Presentation Congregation was founded on Christmas Eve 1775 by a Cork lady known as Nano Nagle. Bishop Egan of Waterford and Pr Power had heard of the great work that was being done by Nano Nagle and her followers in Cork.
A great tradition of education in Waterford since 1798
They invited some of Nano Nagle’s sisters to come to Waterford with a view to opening a Catholic School. The small number of Presentation Sisters in Cork made it impossible for them to provide personnel for Waterford, but if any of the Waterford ladies felt called to follow Nano Nagle’s way of life they were welcome to Cork to learn the essentials of Religious Life and School Management.
In 1795 three Waterford Ladies took up the challenge and set out for Cork.
Three years later, inspired by the vision and life of Nano Nagle, Margaret Power, Eleanor Power and Mary Mullowney arrived back in Waterford and opened the first free Catholic School for girls in Jenkins Lane near St. Patrick’s Church.
A new convent and school was opened in 1800 in Hennessy’s Road.
In 1848 the Sisters moved to Slievekeale Road. Here the Education of Presentation Pupils was continued. Today two hundred years later our Staff still serves the cause of Catholic Education in Waterford.