Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools, is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
Presentation Primary School has participated in this programme since 2005 and has successfully achieved the following flags:
- Litter and waste
Children from various classes have been involved in:
- Green School Committee
- Renewal of the flags achieved to date
- Planning for the various flags
- Planting Spring Bulbs and Vegetables
- Harvesting Vegetables and Fruit
- Baking Apple Crumble with fruit gathered from trees
- Maintaining indoor plants
- Feeding the birds
- Making bird feeders
- Observing and identifying garden birds
- Butterfly Garden and Wildflower Patch
- Insect Hotel
- Log Pile
- Other agencies e.g. Heritage in Schools, Waterford Area Partnership
Mary White from Heritage in Schools came to visit in Term Two. She helped us to use all our senses to experience the wildlife around our school. We looked at trees, smelled herbs, listened to the birds, found worms, made nests and even had a snail race! Everyone loved this wonderful experience.
Miss Stones, her class and Mrs McKenna have been busy in the garden this month. Everyone was delighted to help out digging some new potatoes.